Fort Normandeau provides a stage for living history interpreters to bring this part of our past, to life.
Fort Normandeau marks the site of the Red Deer Crossing, the community that would eventually move and become the City of Red Deer. In 1885, fearing the armed resistance in Saskatchewan, led by Louis Riel, would spill over into the area, a field force was raised and soldiers from the 65th Carbiners de Mont Royal (Mount Royal Rifles) were sent to fortify the area. McLellan’s stopping house was chosen and the soldiers began the construction of a palisade. Today, a cairn marks the site of the original trading post and a recreated Fort Normandeau provides a stage for living history interpreters to bring this part of our past, to life.
Fort Normandeau is open Victoria Day to Labour Day
May to June
Noon to 5:00 pm Mon – Fri
Noon to 8:00 pm Sat – Sun
July 1 to Labour Day
Noon to 8:00 pm seven days a week
The gates and grounds are open 8:00 a.m. to dusk every day.
Admission by Donation